With the loose fit I just made up a straight size 12 without a muslin. Actually it's quite roomy and I could possibly even go down a size if I made it again.
Now, who can relate to this: I get up on a Saturday morning and finish sewing a garment while in my pyjamas. Have quick shower. Throw on new garment and feel pleased. Grab husband for quick photo shoot. Realise have done nothing with hair. Hair rather lets down photoshoot. Don't want to appear vain and waste time fixing hair and asking for more photos. Post blah hair photos. Seriously, sometimes I do something nice with my hair. Just never, apparently, for blog photos.
Anyway, you might like to see the Roman who has been hanging about our house all day. He even went to the supermarket.
And what does a Roman keep in the folds of his toga?
Why, jelly crystals, of course!
Want to know a bit more about the Esme Top pattern? So glad you asked. It was a fairly easy sew, with a slightly tricky but clever way of joining the front & back facings and shoulders all in one. The paper pattern comes with rather brief instructions and there is a video tutorial online for more detailed help. Now, I have a severe lack of patience with video tutorials. They're just not my thing. I would rather skim over a bunch of diagrams. However, I imagine some people really like this way of learning.
I would have preferred the written instructions to be perhaps half as long again since I found them just a little too brief to use without the video. By the time I came to attaching the cuffs, for which there is really barely any written instruction, I just winged it because I am too impatient to sit through an entire instructional video. Nevertheless, I really like the end result. There is a small errata in the written instructions and they forgot to add the sizing chart so if you do buy this pattern, make sure you visit the video section on the website, even if just for those corrections.
Oh, and another thing: the fabric requirements just gives the amount for narrow (quilting cotton width) fabric and it seems quite a bit: 2 & 1/2 yards (about 2.25m). I used fabric that was 130cm wide and eeked it out of 1.5m. In the end I had to piece together the back facing from two halves but you'd have even more success using less fabric if you used a different fabric for the front and back bib lining/facings.
The pattern suggests hand-tacking the back facing down but I chose to stitch it down; I think it suits the look of this top anyway. If I made it again I would probably cut the back neckline up a bit higher, for personal preference.
And this is what happens when a Libran has to choose from her extensive vintage button stash... three different 'matching' buttons.
And I might need another whole post to show you my 'new' old Singer buttonholer!
Not to mention the post I really need to write about the shop I am about to open with a friend... if you are on Facebook you can check it out here. Eek! But that will have its own blog and won't be all over here all the time, I promise.
- Jane x