Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pom tiddly om pom, pom pom

Ah, so much has gone unblogged or almost blogged. 
And in case that sounds dramatic, let me assure you, it's not at all. In fact it's been entirely humdrum, everyday unblogged. I have indeed been sewing, but I've shared things for me over at The Drapery blog so don't want to double up. Ah, might throw in a photo or two at the end here.

But down to business - oh and sorry, it's more dog business. Ew, not that kind.

I made a pompom for Skylar today. It was such a success I wanted to share, and it seemed like a quick and likely way to get back into the blogging habit.

Skylar loves fuzzy things, and had taken a particular liking to a woollen pompom that I made with the boys some years ago, that's been hanging about the house ever since. We throw it for her out the back, she races at it, snaps it up, flips it in the air and basically goes crazy for the thing. It's looking the worse for wear.
 
 I do rather like the traditional method of pompom making, with two cardboard rings, poking the wool through and around, through and around. However, it's time-consuming. And I came across an adapted method that doesn't really feel like cheating, but is a whole load quicker. Yep, found it on Pinterest.

 I think it made a very satisfactory pompom! I tied it as tightly as I could, knowing now the kind of treatment it was in for. (Those are shreds of the earlier pompom around on the lawn.)
 I didn't manage to capture Skylar doing her full flip-out, which she generally reserves for 7am or earlier. Later in the day she prefers a quick trot and lie down. It's easy to see why racing never suited her. Most of the races are at night. Silly races.
 Your move, pompom.
Below are the cardboard pieces I used for pompom construction, after removal. I think these may be bigger than the templates provided in the Pinterest link. When I printed out the largest one, it looked pretty small so I made up my own. I may have buggered up the printing, or I may just prefer a giant pompom.

And the pompom pieces are sitting on the laptop on which I type my blog posts - grubby old thing! Complete with 'bread tag elves' courtesy of Jasper.

Now, on with random recent photo grabs!


Here's a t-shirt I made for Clem with some awesome cotton/spandex knit with NINJAS!! from Crafty Mamas. I have come to the conclusion that as the sizes get bigger in this, my favourite Ottobre 'Best t-shirts' pattern, the neck bands get a bit tighter, especially if you use spandex knit, and I've ended up with a bit of scrunching up around the neckline. So I should make them a bit longer in future.

 




 I blogged about my Grainline Alder dress at The Drapery, but suffice to say I love, love love it and am wearing it again right now, which is at least the 3rd day in the last week (less than?) since I finished it. Yes, it has been washed :)

Lastly, lest this end up in unfinished-draft-land, here are some photos from a weekend that Andy and I had in Melbourne, without children. Yes. I tagged along on a work thing he was there for. We ate a lot, walked a lot, saw some children's theatre (work) and saw this utterly gorgeous 'Golden Mirror Carousel' at the National Gallery of Victoria. It turns super-slowly and silently and the seats gently sway and the whole thing was quite magical.





So there. That's a bit of stuff from lately! If you have read this far, may your week be filled with golden mirror-ness :)

- Jane x

8 comments:

  1. Aw, sweet doggie, adorable t-shirt, lovely Jane, and a couples weekend! I'm like, couples weekend? What is that? I have no idea!

    Must. Purchase. Ninja. Fabric. OMG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, couples weekend weirded us out a bit to begin with, too... kept feeling like there was something else we really ought to be worrying about!

      Delete
  2. Looks as though I'd better check out the Drapery blog for details of that fab looking dress - I've got six months until summer so that should be long enough for me to sew it.
    I think I may have a go at that pompom. What a good idea.
    Wishing you a golden week too! (Isn't it wonderful?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those patterns where tracing off the pattern and cutting out the pieces is the most time-consuming. Once you get sewing, it doesn't take too long!

      Delete
  3. OMG!! LOVE LOVE LOVE your Alder dress. I want one!!!
    It's absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you lucky things getting a weekend away without the kids!! I hope (and am sure) you made the most of it. I need to add the Drapery blog to my feeder list as I'm missing out.....Bxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a distant memory now but yes, oh so good :)

      Delete

Hey, I would really love to know what you think. Go on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...