Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Shop!

Last Saturday, Fiona, my partner-in-scary-shop-venture and I, opened The Drapery to the public for the very first time!
We put out the A-frame and opened the doors and no fireworks went off and there was not a crowd of a thousand waiting to barge in and it was all a bit anti-climactic of course, this very moment.

The first to walk in were Andy and the boys about half an hour later. But as the day passed, people came by. Lovely people, not all blood relatives of ours, just enough to feel busy but not totally overwhelmed, and we made a decent amount of sales.

We had loads of lovely comments that reaffirmed the reasons we opened the shop in the first place: Adelaide really needs a new sewing shop, there are no decent fabric shops left, you want to get in and feel the fabric, and so forth. Heck, this gamble of ours may actually be a success!





There is tweaking to be done, and more stock to order in (now that we have a little money starting to come in to help pay for it all!) and learning to happen (like, really, the way our cash register calculates fabric meterage is just not intuitive or even, apparently, logical). But it was fun! And we pretty much grinned our heads off the entire day, and for some time afterwards. In fact we were both so energised by the experience that we each cut fabric to take home and launch into more sewing projects... shop samples to display and wear!
Because our kids and Fiona's kids are on school holidays (last week and this week) we're just opening again this Saturday, then more 'proper' hours next week when school goes back. A good way to ease into it, really.

And I would just like to say here, hooray for Dads, because Fiona's awesome Dad made our shop counter, above, from recycled timber, and my awesome Dad made the A-frame you can see in the first picture, mostly from gum tree branches from my parents' block in the hills. Hooray for Dads!

If you are reading this and you are in Adelaide and would like to come by The Drapery, we're open 10 - 4 again this Saturday. And we really must get around to starting up The Drapery's own blog. One step at a time, hey.

- Jane x

18 comments:

  1. Jane, I am beyond impressed! I cannot imagine the work it's taken to open a store!! A store!!! (Many ore exclamation points needed). Oh, how I wish I were there to buy fabric from you...
    Ps- the shop looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an extremely exciting venture: bonne chance to the both of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I think I want to move to Adelaide now! I love your new shop Jane, (great name too) and I would so love to flick through those patterns and feel that fabric. So very different to the standard sewing shop geared up towards patchwork these days. Are you opening an online store with the shop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so exciting and fabulous! I so wish I could stop in for a shop! You have done such a beautiful job! I can't wait to see you latest shop sample :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have been thinking of you and your wonderful shop! It looks like such a gorgeous shop - maybe one day I can come and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, just found you through the grapeline and I live not far from your new little venture. Can't wait to visit. Congrats and best wishes that your shop will be a success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!
    And all the best for continuing sales.
    The store looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! I'd love to come visit one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sew happy your opening was a sucess! ;) I plan to come next Saturday and bring my husband (and possibly four children) as he has promised to buy me some linen as an anniversary gift! Can't wait! EEek!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much everyone! It's so lovely to get lots of supportive comments. There have been days during the planning when we have thought 'well we love the idea of this shop but will anyone else?'. It's been a lot of hard work but as you can probably imagine, a fair bit of fun, too. The rep for the Japanese fabrics totally has our number now and knows just what to show us to make us go 'ooh' and 'aah'. Given a limited (and borrowed) startup budget it has been a matter of restraining ourselves to what we feel are 'can't live without' fabrics and a representative spread of the kinds of things we want to stock. We have a very small selection of Liberty coming in June!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane - You're blowing my mind here! I'm just so so impressed and happy for you and wishing you ALL THE SUCCESS IN THE WORLD. I pretty much only shop at my wonderful local brick and mortar places - I love them so and want them to thrive! You're bringing such a wonderful thing to your community.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jane your blog has inspired me to get out my sewing machine and start making clothes again and I just wish your shop was near me (because I can't buy patterns or fab fabric locally). I hope the shop is a fantastic success. Keep us posted oan progress. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!! Oh my gosh, that is so exciting for you guys! I wish you tons of success. The shop looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations. So exciting - I will definitely visit when next in Adelaide. The shop looks wonderful and reflects your lovely warm personality. I know it will be great - good dressmaking supply stores are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations. I hope it brings you great joy for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is REALLY exciting jane! congratulations - wish i could come and visit because it looks sensational :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How completely exciting, I hope it goes wonderfully well and you enjoy yourselves, it must be so thrilling to be up and running. Beth/thelinencat xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wish I had a shop like yours near here. all I have is spotlight.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I would really love to know what you think. Go on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...